Terminating Your Sex Offense Registration:
The California Sex Offender Registration Act, also known as California Penal Code section 290, requires anyone convicted of a sex offense to register for life in California. This registration can lead to embarrassment, lost opportunities, and even harassment. In order to begin your sex offense registration termination, we recommend having your record examined by an experienced and licensed attorney. This will provide you with two things:
- The reassurance that your case is eligible prior to signing up for an expensive legal service, or
- An attorney’s informed opinion that you qualify for another, less expensive legal service, hopefully saving you in unnecessary costs.
The process entails a document review by an attorney, case history preparation, and then final analysis preparation. In most cases, unless the records are very lengthy, the total process generally takes less than 1 month. What counts as a lengthy record depends on (1) whether the total record is 5 or more record entries or 5 or more pages in length, and (2) the clarity of the record. If the record is lengthy or if there are several holidays during the month, plan on several extra days for completion.
The amount may then be applied as a credit towards any post-conviction services you qualify for, should you decide to pursue them. If it turns out you are ineligible for post-conviction relief, or you decide not to move forward on your eligible services, then this amount is for the attorney’s time to perform the analysis. The credit ranges from $100-$200 depending on the number of violations or cases on your record. This credit will remain available for four months from the date of the analysis.
- Case analysis performed by a California licensed attorney.
- Case analysis typically takes less than a month to complete.
- Cost of analysis will be applied towards services relevant to terminate your sex offense registration such as felony reductions, California Certificate or Rehabiliation, Pardon, and more.*
- Analysis credit available for four months from date of completed analysis.
* Credit varies based on the extensiveness of your criminal record.